Tuesday 17 March 2009

Revisiting the Past

I’m at a metaphoric fork in the road, writing wise. I spent the first part of last year writing Chasing Sunset, the middle having the Cherub, and the end beginning Sunset Knight. Now that ms is finished (fate still hanging in the balance), I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

My intention always was to return to a couple of older manuscripts and edit/re-write them. Stories that have fallen by the wayside like the sweet romance that was lost at Hqn M&B for almost two years, the half finished Nanowrite attempt of two Novembers ago that still has potential, but to be what I don’t know. It’s stuck somewhere between a sweet and a sexy contemporary with a possible subplot that may or may not work. Not sure what I can salvage from either of those, and neither am I sure I should salvage anything. Experience has proven that going back to old books for re-writes can be just as time consuming as starting something from scratch. And part of me feels like I’ve moved on too far to go back and turn those older books into something of a standard I’d be happy with. After all, I feel like I’ve improved as a writer since then – at least I hope that’s true. Could anything really be gained by stepping into old plotlines that need serious improvement? Is my only motivation the horrible thought of chucking out all those words and chalking up the time spent to nothing more than experience?

I won’t be making any major decisions or starting any new projects this week. I’m still putting the finishing touches on my new improved website, designing one for my mother and generally keeping busy with the kids. In addition I’m very emotionally drained this week. Hubby and I are heartsick that we had to make the painful decision recently to say goodbye to one of our much adored mini dachies, our dear, loving and loveable friend Fletch.


Having lost most of his function and his usual zest for life, and with no hope of recovery we felt it was best to let him go before things got too bad for him. I’m utterly heartbroken and miss him so much.

I hope you’re happy where you are boy, and that there are millions of butterflies to chase. I’ll always look back fondly on the ten years we spent together, and never will I forget the sight of your tail wagging jauntily, nor the sound of your joyful hello bark. Love always, Mum.
I explained it to St. Peter,
I'd rather stay here
Outside the pearly gate.
I won't be a nuisance,I won't even bark,
I'll be very patient and wait,
I'll be here, chewing on a celestial bone,
No matter how long you may be.
I'd miss you so much, if I went in alone,
It wouldn't be heaven for me.
Unknown Author

3 comments:

  1. Sami - I relate to much of what you write today! I'm stuck in a fork too and have considered going back to a couple of old mss, cos I really loved the characters... but the sad fact is, they are so gaping in terms of conflict etc, that they'd really needed to be started from fresh. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

    Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sami. God, I'm so sorry to hear about Fletch. You must be heartbroken. What a terribly, terribly sad week for you.
    {Hugs}
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sami,
    So sad about Fletch. You'll have to find another one. He looks so cute.

    Suz :)

    ReplyDelete