Sunday 11 January 2009

Fighting My Way Out

"When we read, we start at the beginning and continue until we reach the end. When we write, we start in the middle and fight our way out." Vickie Karp, US Poet
This is very much how I feel right about now, at what I thought was edit stage but turns out is yet another rewrite stage. Nothing major, just a couple of scenes I know would be better in a) different locations and or b) with an extra character present. Deep breath, let it out sloooooowly and perhaps I'll feel better in the morning.

I took yesterday off to deal with my inevitable resistence to this development, to kid myself just a few more times that no, the book's fine the way it is, even as I knew I wasn't going to buy that. Sure enough, looking at it again this morning I see that the whole first half of chapter two is superfluous drivel, entertaining drivel (says she modestly), but nonetheless largely pointless without the involvement of the heroine. The whole bloody thing has to be restructured from her POV, which means changing the location, the time and large chunks of the dialogue. Sigh. Then I admit that the second love scene has to change locales too, as I have a much more romantic and quirky twist in mind for it. I have to go for romantic and quirky when it comes to me--it's my thing.

I was going to list my goals for the year but I'm too immersed in this one to give a shit about them to be honest. Hope you're faring better.

Sami

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sami, me too.
    I'm not posting goals. I know what they are and that is sufficient.

    I think a writer is the severest critique of her own work.

    It will fall into place... eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how the rewrites are going, I look forward to reading those romantic, quirky love scenes.
    Quirky, huh? Yep, looking mighty forward to them.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete